Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, April 29, 2004


"Loved I not Honour more"

Having watched the Civil War film "Gods and Generals" this morning I decided to share a selection of the quotes I found most touching.

I also post these in honor of our own troops, who are still this day laying down their own lives for cause and duty in Iraq. I imagine these thoughts have gone through their minds just as often now, as they did the minds of those in blue and gray over 150 years ago.


"Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
That from the nunnery
Of thy chaste breasts, and quiet mind,
To war and arms I fly.

True, a new mistress now I chase,
The first foe in the field;
And with a stronger faith embrace
A sword, a horse, a shield.

Yet this inconstancy is such,
As you too shall adore;
I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more."

- from a poem by Richard Lovelace

~~~~

"An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see. The end must justify the cost. War is a scourge, but so is slavery. It is the systematic coercion of one man over another. That is no excuse to tolerate it here. If your life or mine is part of the price to end this curse and free the [oppressed], then let God's will be done."

- Colonel Lawrence Chamberlain

~~~~

"The duty is ours; the consequences belong to God."
- Stonewall Jackson


Pray for our troops over in Iraq, and pray that their efforts are not in vain. They are laying down their lives for the freedoms we hold so dear. That, my fellow American, is honor, duty, and in the uncertain face of death, the ultimate sacrifice.

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)