Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Friday, August 20, 2004


"A Different Kind of Digging"

I think I've found a new hobby. Genealogy.

So far this week, I've been spending a lot of my free time digging into family history. It gives me something to do. I've always loved history, but, honestly, this stuff really interests me. And I don't really know why. Maybe it's just another one of those unexplainable elements built into our human capacity for curiousity. We love to learn new things. Exploring the past can be just that. Genealogy just gives it a personal touch.

As far as my family goes though, I didn't realize I had such a rich ancestry. Granted the family tree is still a work in process, but so far, I've been able to trace it back seven generations (on my Dad's side) -- as far back as Johan Baas, born in 1766, in Fahnenschmidt, Anklam Von Pommern, Germany. I've found a relative who, after beng kicked out of Russia, made a living as a respected WWI (maybe WWII) wartime photographer in the States. I've been told that somewhere in the tree there's a woman who was a seamstress to one of the Russian Czars. Norwegian ancestors on my Mom's side are said to have herded reindeer. And, according to the dates, my Great-Great-Great Grandfather was one of two twin brothers born on the same day as my youngest sister, Lydia.

Pretty interesting indeed. And so far, that's not even the half of it!

The Baas side of the family is straight from Germany, emmigrating sometime in the 1850's. My Dad's mom's side is from Russia. And my mom's side of the family originates primarily from Germany and Norway. That makes for an interesting family tree. And, interestingly enough, a family tree with many long German and Norwegian names. :P

But, like I say, I've only started piecing together what I can this week. Pretty soon -- maybe even this weekend -- I may start sending off a few emails to relatives and see what else I can discover. Afterall, as the old saying goes, "you never know what you might discover, until you actually start looking for it." I'm more than eager to go exploring. It's something I have a passion for.

Have a wonderful weekend all. Until next time, God Bless!

Your happily blogging, eagerly exploring friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)