Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Wednesday, August 04, 2004


"Grandparents: Going Home Soon"

My parents were in town today. They're just spending the night at a nearby hotel, and passing through. For the first time in a while, the purpose of their visit wasn't to see Rachel or myself down here in Wisconsin. This time, they're driving over to Michigan to see my grandparents (my mom's side) who aren't doing well, and may not be with us much longer.

I pray the visit goes well though. Both my grandparents are in their mid eighties, and showing rapidly increasing signs of alzheimers. They're starting to forget things -- important things. Add that to their subborness to accept that there is anything wrong, and the rest of the family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) are becoming very concerned. They still live in the same house that they raised their children in, and they refuse to move to a care facility. They're not doing well. All things considered, this may likely be my mom's last opportunity to see them before they pass on. She lives in Minnesota -- two states and a Great Lake away.

I can't imagine it's easy to see one's parents grow weaker with age. I'm sure my mom has a lot on her mind as a result of this trip. The inevitable will happen, and although knowing that can be a comfort, I'm sure it's also a frightening prospect. I certainly pray the visit goes well.

It'll be a short visit to Michigan though. Life demands time from my dad back home in Minnesota, and since he's doing the driving, he needs to be back come the new week. They'll drive the rest of the way down around the Lake and up into Michigan tomarrow, visit until Saturday, and then drive back down here to Milwaukee again by Saturday afternoon. After another night in Milwaukee, they'll be back home in Minneapolis on Sunday. Short trip.

Keep my family in your prayers, though, especially regarding my grandparents. When they go home, so will the oldest generation in our extended family. I'm hoping that won't be sooner than later, but, ulimately, all things are in God's hands. He knows what's best.

I'll share an update -- for those that may be interested -- when my parents pass through Milwaukee again on Saturday. But until then, have a blessed week. I'll catch you on the marrow.

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)