Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, August 05, 2004


"Wisconsin State Fair"

Well, it's official. Today, the Wisconsin State Fair opened for the summer. It'll run from August 5-15, and, as usual, bring lots of people and cars to my neighborhood.

Myself, I actually spent the first day of the State Fair doing some landscaping work for my landlord at one of his other nearby apartment buildings. When I was finished for the day, I decided to walk home rather than worry about the bus. My route took me right past the State Fair Grounds. To say that it's busy around there is perhaps an understatement....

Along the major street there, homeowners are charging outrageous prices to park cars anywhere they can in their own garages and on their own front lawns! People inhabit the sidewalks for blocks around, walking to and from the various entrance gates to the Park. Businesses in the area are offering special deals to entice State Fair goers into their stores. City busses are doing double-time carrying people to and from the makeshift State Fair bus terminal. Major streets in the area are slow driving. And crossing guards or people holding parking signs inhabit most major street corners. Madness, I tell you. Pure madness. :P

But then again, the State Fair is like this every year. People seem to be drawn like moths to a flame when it comes to the State Fair. Me? I think I'll be avoiding it as much as possible this year. It's not that I don't want to go to the Fair, no, far from it. I just dislike all those massive crowds, loud music, and the aroma of manure drifting throughout the Grounds on hot sunny days. I loved going to the Racine County Fair in my small country hometown when I was growing up, and I still prefer county fairs to be honest. But I guess living near the Wisconsin State Fair Grounds has just removed the fun from the whole State Fair Experience. Too big for my tastes.

And as much as I appreciate the concept of the State Fair, I usually get a good enough sample of the festivities by staying home anyway. Parking is a hastle with cars parked on my neighborhood residential streets for blocks around. People walking everywhere. Loud music and the smells of the various food items drift effortlessly from the Park into my neighborhood. I can see the lights of the midway or any fireworks from my kitchen window. Why waste money on the Fair when it comes right to your own front door, right?

I think I'll enjoy my own State Fair neighborhood experience, but as for actually going to the State Fair?.... Maybe next year. We'll see. This summer, only nine more days of madness. Ah, yes, such great memories. Such great momories indeed. .... [chuckle]

Have a blessed day all, and if you go to the Wisconsin State Fair, feel free to leave a review. I'll live vicariously though you.

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)