Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Friday, September 17, 2004


"Film Review: Mr. 3000"

Well, "Mr.3000" has finally been released. It's out, and I'm in. My most notable scene is indeed at the end of the movie during the climactic final game. This film frame shows an example shot of that scene. Not bad, eh? :)

Today I was invited by some of Scott's relatives to join them and go see the release of "Mr.3000". Their treat. Apparently it was my night of being treated like a celebrity. And I did enjoy both the gesture as well as the opportunity to share my personal stories and experiences from filming. Last summer I had spent a little over 150 hours on the set of "Mr.3000". That's a lot of experiences to share, and most of the people with me tonight seemed very interested in me retelling them! :P

After seeing the film a few hours later though, I was rather impressed. It did indeed live up to my personal expectations. The casting was great. The locale top-notch (yeah, I know, I love Miller Park!). The orchestral soundtrack was surprisingly quite impressive. And the story made for a wonderful baseball movie that didn't quite follow the expected norm for a Hollywood sports film -- which is a good thing. I also enjoyed the character development within Bernie's character immensely, although it was a little disappointing that there wasn't more emphasis upon the development of most of the other characters. But, overall, I'd definitely give this film a solid "B" grade, and on a scale of 1-10 with ten being the best, probably a solid "7".

I think the weakest aspects I saw in the film, though, were the sexual interludes between Bernie Mac and Angela Bassett's characters. I can see where that served an intended part in the plot, but yet, it still seemed to draw me out of the excellent baseball plotline within the film. This was a great baseball movie, but probably not the most successful romantic comedy.

Also, to me, the ending was a little disappointing. Not in terms of the plot and the much appreciated climax, but rather in terms of the execution. It ended too abrupt, with one of those voice-over dialogs by Bernie's character as time was progressed over the course of a few minutes. I would have personally liked to see something more satisfying... more solid. But then again, maybe that's just me.

Other than that though, it was an enjoyable and highly entertaining film with plenty of Bernie Mac style wit, a good moral thread, and plenty of laughs to go around.

It is rated PG-13, and though it may appear to be a movie kids may enjoy, be warned, there is mild language, and adult situations. You may want to see this film for yourself before deciding if it would be appropriate for your children. I probably wouldn't consider this a family movie, but it is successfully geared towards a mature adult audience.

Enjoy, and feel free to leave your reaction on the film. I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it. And, if you haven't had the chance to do so yet, feel free to read my behind-the-scenes journal from filming last summer. It seems to have become a very popular read. :)

Have a blessed day all, and until next time,

Your happily blogging actor friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)