Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, January 11, 2005


"Computer Puppetry!"

I don't know if it's true for other computer operating systems, but in Windows XP there's an option for a text-to-speech function. You type in any desired text, and the computer reads it back to you via an audio vocal program. Why this function exists in the first place, I really don't know, but it does.

Now imagine this...

In our apartment, my roomate Scott and I each have our bedrooms directly next to each other. I can be sitting at my computer in my room, and he at his in his room, and we can easily still have a conversation around the corner with each other.

Well, earlier this evening, he was playing a around on his computer -- on which he had just installed XP -- and was trying out some of the new features. He happened upon this odd text-to-speech program and started typing text into it, happily listening as the resulting phrase was read aloud by the mechanical male voice.

I too -- previously unaware this program existed on my own computer -- found it amusing, and decided to start playing with it as well. It wasn't long before the two of us were happily typing a conversation with each other through this silly text-to-speech program. His computer would say something witty he'd typed, followed by a response from mine, and so forth.

But wait, the fun doesn't stop there! Nooooo.... :P

Each computer had developed it's own personality! Yes, they were soon quoting lines from popular pop-culture songs (obviously mutilating them horribly when it came to any kind of vocal rhythm), discussing the days events from a computer's perspective, cracking jokes, and even making witty comments about the two humans feeding them the text!... Yes, by some strange twist of amused fate, these poor unwitting electronic devices had suddenly become comedic puppets for two easily-amused guys shooting the breeze one evening. And my, what a riot it was! If you ask me, maybe I had a little too much time on my hands...

You think? :P

If you've got Windows XP on your computer, give the program a try sometime. Be open-minded. Let yourself laugh. You'll have fun with it. Trust me. You will.

Have a blessed day all, and enjoy! Until next time,

Your happily amused actor friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)