Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, January 15, 2005


"Lessons of an Online Chat Pro"

Well, ok, I'm not nearly as much a pro as some who spend all their free time chatting on the internet, but I do get the chance to meet and greet from time to time.... and here are some of the online lessons (good and bad) that I've learned:

1. No where else in the world is freedom of speech more common than the internet.
2. The vast majority of people chatting online, cannot spell properly.
3. Most people online are youths looking only for sexual encounters.
4. Bots advertising sex webcams are at times more plentiful than real people.
5. Religion is a popular chat debate even moreso than politics or current events.
6. Religious individuals trying to actively convert others are commonplace.
7. There is a distinct internet culture that rivels that of any country.
8. Polite introductions rarely exist online.
9. Crude language is abundant and some even use it as a primary language.
10. Many people seem to see nothing wrong with being rude to others.
11. People are astonished that I try to be polite.
12. Harrassment is a crime. Yet it happens all the time on the internet.
13. Foreign (non-American) youth seem to crave Americans as "best friends".
14. Some of the most uneducated people I know are people I've met online.
15. And some people seem to reside online at all times.

So, with all the lessons I've learned about popular internet culture, why do I keep stopping in from time to time to see who I may meet? Well, quite simply, despite all the junk in online chat, there are still some extraordinary people out there... People who ARE educated, polite, respectful, interesting, and above all worth meeting.

If you can overlook the sickeningly sad nature of most youth online, then you'll start to find the good. THAT's what makes online chat so interesting. Perhaps even a challenge. And sometimes, a challenge is just what I'm in the mood for! :)

Have a blessed day all, and until next time,

Your happily musing friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)