Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, April 09, 2005


"Blood Bound"

Earlier this afternoon, I had a film audition... a film audition for a vampire horror flick to be filmed and produced here in the Milwaukee area. Yes, you read that right, a "vampire horror flick". Something a little different, I know. :)

But it gets a bit more interesting.

The character I was reading for was that of Ed, "a stylish, charming, young college student studying photography and art". Sounds familiar doesn't it? Three years ago, you could have used that to describe me (although, maybe not so much on the "stylish" end of things!). I can definitely play the artist. Been there, done that. I'm already a pro in that department. But herein enters the acting realm... Ed has a sickeningly dark, conniving, evil spirit under all that charm. He has an agenda. He's the consumate example of an individual acting one way to achieve the opposite. He could be a very interesting character to play, and, definitely a challenge at the same time.

Generally, when it comes to movies, though, the horror genre isn't really a favorite of mine. I usually tend to pick something less extreme. Something lighter. But in this case, the role of Ed could provide an excellent opportunity for growth as a professional actor. I've played more dramatic roles in the past, usually much more lighthearted. Ed, however, could be something much more outside my zone of familiarity. Something unique. Something drastically different. For that reason, I am thrilled to have been invited to audition, and definitely hoping to remain in the running.

However, on the other side of the coin, I got all excited for my job interview earlier in the week, and that didn't pan out quite like I'd hoped. So I suppose this too could go either way. I'll just resign myself to keeping my fingers crossed, and hope I was able to impress the director. He had some great compliments for me after I auditioned, and I, think I did pretty well too. But then again, the goal was to impress him, not me.

It may be for a horror film -- one of my least favorite theatrical genres -- but as an actor, I can't overlook the opportunities it presents. Just like life, acting is all about personal growth. It's about experimenting with the environments around us, and continually striving to learn more about the human condition, all while improving one's skills in the craft. Here's hoping I'll get to do more of that "growth stuff". Nothing excites me more... even if I have to be part vampire to do it!

Have a blessed weekend all. I'll keep you updated! Until next time,

Your happily blogging actor friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)