Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Wednesday, June 08, 2005


"Medicine Man and Fire Alarms"

Today was an interesting day. Most of it was spent around the apartment working, and finishing up a variety of ongoing projects and the like. But once the late afternoon came around... so did the adventure and excitement!

See, from time to time I've been assisting my landlord with a number of small projects. It takes some of the load off of him, and I get paid for it. Recently, one of those projects was the yearly testing of the fire alarms at his local apartment buildings, and making sure they were all up to code. Today I had planned to walk the few miles necessary to visit two of those buildings.

It was a humid but breezy walk, and the sun was already setting as I set out for my expedition. The hope was to head out in the early evening, and thus catch the tenants after they had returned from work. After a forty-five minute walk, I arrived at the first building, and had little trouble taking care of my intended task. I even met one of the residents -- a Native American Medicine Man -- who struck up a conversation with me, and proved to be a very interesting individual!

As it turns out, this wise older man fought in the Vietnam War, has survived three heart attacks (while remaining uncharacteristically optimistic throughout!), is very strong into his beliefs and Native American heritage, and upon hearing that I was the creative sort of person (aka, actor/ artist), even sang me a traditional "Native American Medicine Man song"! I have no idea what the lyrics were, but apparently it was one of good luck from the Spirits. We'll see if it works! LOL!

By the time I left his building, though, I was smiling. I had hardly expecting to meet someone this unique on such a routine task, but, then again, I suppose that's what makes life so interesting. Even when you're doing the mundane, you still never really know what to expect!

After departing the first of my two destinations, I walked for another forty-five minutes to the second apartment building, only to be turned back by two of the residents who were standing outside chatting. Neither of them had been told to expect a "strange young man" who would be stopping by to check their fire alarms. I guess the landlord had neglected to mention my visit, and, understandably, due to reasons of security, neither of these two tenants seemed interested in letting me bother their neighbors with my "odd" request either. So, rather than press the issue, I thanked the two cautious men, and set out the remaining hour and a half walk for home.

Granted it had been a wasted trip to the second building -- especially considering the length of the walk -- but, I guess if I were in their shoes, I would have probably reacted similarly. Afterall, how often does a total stranger walk up to your house and ask to check your fire alarms! LOL!

But it's been a good day. It's not often you get to meet a Native American Medicine Man; have him sing a song to the Sprits for you; have two strangers look at you suspiciously when you ask to check their fire alarms; and then get to walk for nearly three hours through peaceful Milwaukee neighborhoods on a beautiful summer night!

Yep. It's been an interesting day. Here's hoping tomorrow is as exciting. I like days like these!

Have a blessed Thursday all, and until next time,

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)