Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, September 05, 2005


"Performance Space"

I was introduced to the theatre space in which we will be performing "The Liar" this evening. The theatre itself isn't bad, but the rest of the facility is a little weak. I guess that's to be expected, though. Concordia University no longer has either a major or a minor program in theatre, and the only real income for the department comes from the rental of the space by the company I'm performing "The Liar" with.

I even discovered that the theatre space here used to be the old gymnasium -- converted quite nicely of course. But backstage, the women's dressing room is a tiny old locker room, with the men's dressing room in the shower stall section (yes, we do dress INSIDE shower stalls!). The Greenroom was probably an old storage room, I didn't see any setshop facilities, and they just recently converted another small room into a make-up room.

Not quite the dedicated theatre spaces I've become used to lately.

But, other than the fact that the college itself is located well outside the city of Milwaukee -- and thus not all that favorable to attracting a city audience, and the fact that theatre seems to be an afterthought at this college, it is still nice to have a suitable stage to perform on. I suppose it fits with the minimalist theme of our 1700's play, but I shudder to think how efficient the facilities would be if anyone attempts to put on anything larger than a "high school" production.

But, critique aside, I am still excited about our present show. It should be an enjoyable one, and I am having fun with the interaction between our characters. Unfortunately, however, this may have to be my first and last performance with the Acacia Theatre Company -- at least for a while. Accessibility just isn't in my favor.

We'll have to see how well this show goes over, though. Here's hoping for a good run! If you do want to come out for the show, drop me an email and I'll send you the info. Otherwise, have a blessed new week, and until next time....

Your happily blogging actor friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)