Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, October 22, 2005


"Drinking Beyond Moderation"

I've never been a social drinker. I don't care for the taste of beer, and unless on rare or special occassions, I just avoid drinking alcohol altogether. It's a personal preference really. I just choose not to drink. And I choose to be strong-willed about that decision as well.

When my friends order a beer, I order a Sprite.

I've never seen the thrill in losing my inhibitions, weakening my senses, getting overly emotional, and being unable to speak clearly -- all in the name of alcohol. I've never seen the fun in that. I appreciate remaining stable and in control of my facilities. That's just who I am. But, sometimes, just sometimes, that decision becomes a challenge for me -- and it's a challenge I have yet to overcome. It's a challenge that sees me fully coherant while the company I am with is not.

That happened last night, and while I dearly love the company I was with -- regardless of how intoxicated they may have been -- I have to ask myself, what do I do when those friends are drunk? I can't just leave. I care about them. But I can't join them in their amusement either. I'm caught in the middle somewhere, no longer able to share in the new definition of fun.

It's an odd place to be in. Did I enjoy their company last night? Oh, yes, of course. Very much so. I'd gladly hang out with them again. But how the heck do I show my appreciation in those kinds of situations, when I cannot and will not consume alcohol... and when it hurts to let them see how uncomfortable I am?

In the end, I get relegated to playing the role of concerned friend, trying to keep health and safety foremost, while not denying them the right to have their fun. How exciting is that?

You know, at least last night answered one question for me. I'd be a horrible bar tender. :)

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)