Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, November 11, 2006


"Flowers for Algernon"

Earlier this evening, I went with some friends to see a theatre show (at the local WELS Lutheran high school) titled, "Flowers For Algernon" -- adapted from the 1960 Hugo-winning short story by the same name. It's a Science Fiction plot, which, honestly, you don't see too much of on the live stage these days. In the end, though, it turned out to be a far more though-provoking and skillfully acted performance than I had expected.

In fact, so much so, that I (the actor) may have found a challenging new role I'd like play some day -- the lead, Charlie Gordon. In short, he's a young mentally retarded janitor who volunteers to take part in an experimental intelligence-enhancing procedure, only to learn that being smart isn't all it's cracked up to be. The levels at which this character grows and changes over the course of the play are brilliant! And watching him go through those changes had me glued to the stage.

In the theatre world, most male actors consider Shakespeare's Hamlet to be the career-defining role, but not me. I'm a contemporary actor. In fact, I'm not even interested in Hamlet. Or acting Shakespeare for that matter. But to find a 100% Sci-Fi role... for the stage(!) -- now that's priceless!

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm showing my true geek colors here. But seriously, combining my love of Science Fiction, and dramatic stage acting into the same thing? -- I didn't think that kind of opportunity even existed!

I guess you really do learn something new every day!

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)