Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, June 11, 2007


"I need a hug... and some advice."

Question: How does a woman who is a strong Baptist, and a young man raised Lutheran, come together on religion within a loving committed relationship, when the little details of conflicting doctrine always seem to get in the way?

Unfortuantely, this is an issue facing Jenny and myself -- and has been to an increasing level over the past seven months. I'm far more trusting that the Lord will work things out in both of us, and that our common faith can overcome our doctrinal differences, yet Jenny worries. She fears her lack of knowledge in the subject. And as our hearts are so close, I feel her pain. Immensely.

It probably doesn't help either, that she lives down in Tennessee, and I live up here in Wisconsin -- 600 miles away. Distance is not something beneficial to the issue. And communication via instant message and the telephone can only go so far.

So, I guess the question remains, how do we bridge the doctrinal gap? How do we find common ground when it comes to differing views on baptism, communion, church governance, etc? We have the same Protestant Christian faith, it's just interpreted differently. And if we both hope to get married, as is our mutual goal, how do we stand together in what we teach our children? She doesn't wish to leave the Baptist church, nor should I ask her to, but I can't leave the Lutheran church either. I was born the son of a Lutheran pastor. My beliefs are in my blood.

I love Jenny very much. I would not hesitate to sacrifice for her so that -- first and foremost -- *SHE* can be happy, but I just can't give up my beliefs. So where does that leave us? My own walk with God is very close, I talk to Him about this issue (as well as Jenny) all the time. I trust Him. I desire Him to lead. And I know He does. But, other than prayer and trust, I just don't know how else I can help ease Jenny's pain.

I guess I just need a hug. And some good strong Christian advice.

If you'd like to help, you are, of course, more than welcome to leave short comments here with this post. If you wish to offer more indepth advice (which I could always use, and I'd be more than happy to pass along to Jenny as well), drop me an email me at my main Yahoo address, or leave me a private message on MySpace. I will try to answer to all messages.

I do appologize for today's somewhat less than exhuberant blog post. Sometimes, I guess you just have to get by with a little help from your friends. ... [smile]

Have a great Tuesday everyone.... and thank you.

Your blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)