Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Friday, July 06, 2007


"Who Reads My Blog?"

So, I was thinking earlier.... Who reads my blog? Who are my "regular" readers, and what do I know about them? Where do they come from? As it just so happens, I keep track of my blog stats, so, here's what my curiousity discovered:

Over 92 percent of my readers live in the United States. No surprise there, right? Ok, so let's focus on the good 'ole US of A then. Where in these fifty states do my readers come from?

Well, interestingly enough, with the obvious exception of Wisconsin, most of my readers come from the South and Southwest. In fact, six of my top ten readership states are located in the southern part of the country. So what does that mean? Do those of you who live in the South find me to be more interesting than those who live here in the North? And does that mean I appeal more to the laid back, down-to-earth, conservative types -- like myself?

And, can I assume too, that I have fans among the "Southern Belles" and "Georgia Peaches" of the country? I've always had a certain appreciation for the South, ever since I was a Civil War reenactor. Am I really a country boy at heart? Does that show through in my blogging?

Top 10 Readership States: (in %)
  • Georgia -- 22.25
  • Wisconsin -- 21.65
  • California -- 17.22
  • Colorado -- 10.89
  • Arizona -- 4.78
  • Minnesota -- 3.59
  • Texas -- 2.39
  • New York -- 1.20
  • Tennessee -- 0.84
  • Illinois -- 0.84

    Top 3 Readership Cities:
    Atlanta (GA), Milwaukee (WI), Sacramento (CA), Denver (CO), Pheonix (AZ)

    Total Readership Cities (in US): 80

  • And the rest of the world? Well, beyond the United States, Asia comes in second (2.99 percent of all readership), followed by all of Europe (2.88 percent), and Canada (1.22%). Australia and New Zealand round out the list at less than one percent (0.33).

    So, in other words, I'm not AT ALL popular in South America. :)

    Ok... so, now that we know where all of you come from (to date anyway), what can we find out about you, in particular? Who are you as blog readers?

    Well, since I started tracking my blog stats over two months ago (I was merely watching traffic before that), I've discovered that 75.97% of all my readers revisit my blog more than once. The other 24.03% stop by once, and take little interest in me or my musings. So, to me, that would seem to indicate that over 3/4 of those who visit my blog, find me (or what I write about) interesting.

    And for those that are curious, no, I do not count my own blog hits.

    Also, based upon the fact that only 6-10 people have left regular blog comments in recent months, I can deduce that most of my readership is passive (aka, does not choose to interact).

    Furthermore, 24.48% of those 3/4 regular vistors, have visited my blog over 100 times. That's one third of my regular readership! That's awesome!

    Only 16.06% of those who have read my blog choose to visit other areas of my website. And while 63.35% of my readers use DSL/Cable to access the internet, 17.05% use Dialup. That would lead me to believe that a majority of you are dedicated internet users (possibly bloggers yourselves).

    Only 7.62% of my readers actually visit my blog archives.

    So, we know a little about where my readers come from, and how you interact on my blog... But how do they find me? Where do you come from on the internet?

    Well, now this is interesting....

    Top 5 Sources of Traffic: (in %)
  • JonBaas.com -- 27.80
  • Reader Bookmarks -- 23.70
  • Google Searches -- 21.48
  • My MySpace Profile -- 17.94
  • Yahoo Searches -- 2.55

  • According to this analysis, 27% of the traffic to my blog actually comes straight from the main page of my website. Right now (in this post), I'm only considering stats related to this blog, but I bet if I checked the traffic for the rest of the site, I'd find rather notable levels there too.

    Over 23% of all traffic to my blog could be categorized as non-referral. In other words, most of this is the result of readers who have bookmarked my blog, and come back again and again. This includes those of you who have visited my blog over 100 times.

    Roughly 24% percent of all traffic is the result of web searches on Google and Yahoo -- the top two search engines on the net. Keywords range from my name and projects, to anything I've written about. In the past month, 80+ hits have come from the keywords, "jon baas friend scott". Go figure. I guess people want to know about my roomate too!

    And, interestingly enough, nearly 18% of all traffic to this blog comes from my MySpace page! Yes, MySpace! And I have nearly 12,000 hits there in the past fifteen months.

    So, there you have it. My readers in a nutshell. Amazing stuff, if you ask me! I'm honored to have such a fan base (and to have found such great friends too!). I've been blogging here for over five years, and let me tell you, it gets more and more exciting with each passing year. Thank you for being a part of my life, and for following along as I pursue my acting, my art, and my creative musings. You guys are awesome!

    Have a wonderful Friday everyone, and until next time,

    Your happily blogging friend,
    -Jon

     I   I  0 comments


    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    + Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

    Jon Baas

    Blogging Since 2002!
    Blog Home

    Stories I Tell:
    USS Enterprise 1701-D
       • Story Page - (in real-time)
       • Website / Blog

    Blogs I Read:
    - ProBlogger
    - Seth Godin
    - The Brothers Brick
    - Trek Movie
    - Wil Wheaton

    Performances I Enjoy:
    - Improv Everywhere


    Recent Posts:
    - August 2019

    Blog Archive:
    - Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

    Subscribe:
    - Posts (Atom)