Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Wednesday, August 01, 2007


"Breaking News: Deadly Bridge Collapse"

At 6:05pm this evening, a major interstate bridge (I-35) up in Minneapolis, Minnesota collapsed into the Mississippi River. Seven people have been confirmed dead so far, with over 60 injured. At least fifty vehicles, as well as tons of concrete and twisted metal crashed 64-feet into the river below.
Given the time of day (rush hour), hundreds of people would have been involved.

Rescue attempts are still on-going, and dive teams are searching the river. Casualty numbers are expected to rise. Stay tuned, I'll update you as soon as I know more.

"Full Coverage: Minneapolis Bridge Disaster"

"Officials, NTSB seeking answers and witnesses" ... [pictures and video]

UPDATE: - (10:41 PM)
I just received word from my family. They live up in Minneapolis, not too far from the now-collapsed freeway bridge. My mom and youngest sister, Lydia, were safely at home, and my youngest brother, Joel, was still at work. All three are fine.

My father, however, *was* on I-35 heading towards the bridge at the time. He narrowly missed the disaster. As he said in his email, "About a quarter mile from the river, all traffic stopped and a huge cloud of dust filled the air. After about five minutes, someone came running from the direction of the bridge, calling out, "Turn around. Go back. The bridge has collapsed. You can't get through."

I am VERY grateful to hear that all four of my family members up in Minneapolis are fine, however, it is also particularly frightening to know that had my dad left his meeting only a few minutes earlier, he would have been one of the cars in the river.

Thanks be to God for His protection!

I should note too, the school bus that had just crossed the bridge before it crumpled into pieces, was bringing children back to the same Minneapolis Park's daycare center I had worked at for three years during high school. All of the kids got off the crushed bus safely.

My heart goes out to those who were involved in this tragedy, especially to those who were less fortunate. As rescue efforts continue, let's pray the death toll doesn't rise any higher.

UPDATE: - (12:50 AM - Thursday)

Emergency responders have switched from rescue to recovery mode, as it's become too dark, and there's far too much debris to continue work in the water. Recovery efforts will resume at first light. It is possible more survivors could be found, however, at this point the chances are slim.

UPDATE: - (2:20 PM - Thursday)

The death toll has been lowered from seven to four, as the medical examiner's office only has four sets of remains. Initial reports of seven people killed were based on best estimated authorities had available last night. This number could still change, though, as divers comb the twisted steel and chunks of concrete that crashed into the Mississippi River.

79 people have been injured. As many as 30 remain missing.

"Death toll dips to 4 in bridge collapse"

UPDATE: - (9:43 AM - Friday)

Authorities have confirmed the number of people missing to be only eight. A fifth fatality has been identified, and additional bodies have been spotted in the fast-moving Mississippi River.

"5th body found in Minn. bridge debris"

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)