Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, March 27, 2008


"Notes From the Train"

Yesterday, I traveled by train from Milwaukee up to Minneapolis (where I am right now) to visit with my parents for a week. I thought I'd do a little something different here on my blog, so, as I traveled, I documented my trip through short little notes in my notebook. These are those notes. I've linked a few things to aid in your understanding as you read. Enjoy!

======================================================

I’m sitting here in the new Milwaukee Intermodal Station waiting for my train to board. It’s all quiet, just a few people sitting around waiting as I am. In about 20 minutes, I’ll be train-bound at 4pm, but until then I get to do a little people-watching.

The intermodal station here is brand new. It opened just this past Fall, and replaces the old station – a bland 1960’s art deco eyesore. Now we’ve got a large glass-front state-of-the-art facility that not only services Amtrak trains, but processes Greyhound bus travel as well. The cramped waiting area has been replaced by a large three-story atrium, natural light streams into the hall from the all-glass exterior walls, and the whole place has a fresh inviting aura. The old train-only station had a certain outdated charm to it, but in this day and age, you’ve just gotta upgrade to make things more accessable.

As I look around, more people seem to be arriving, so I suppose I’d better get my things together for boarding. More commentary from the train.

+++

Well, I’ve boarded, and we’re underway. In fact, we just passed through my Milwaukee neighborhood. I live west of downtown, so to get to the train station, I had to take the city bus east. And now that the train has left the station, it’s heading west again –- to the Minnesota state border. This is a perspective of my neighborhood I don’t get to see very often.

Here on the train, it’s not too crowded, there’s at least one person in every two seats. Right in front of me there’s an Amish family (dressed in typical Amish attire). One of the women has the cutest little baby girl – all wrapped up in a pink jumper and blanket. Very cute. Beside me sits a middle-aged man reading a book. He’s going to Minneapolis as well (from Chicago). He’ll be my company on my journey. And across the isle behind me sits a man in his 30’s, talking on his cellphone about global warming in the Arctic. Quite an interesting cross-section of travelers.

We’re going past a frozen lake right now. A few people are out kite-surfing on the ice. Not a bad day for it either -– high 40’s, lots of sun, bright, cheery. Before long, though, that ice will be gone, and the lake sport will become water skiing again.

We’ve moved out of the city now. Forests, highways, and towns have replaced the urban landscape. Farm fields and rural terrain is starting to pass us by. I think I’ll just sit back and enjoy the view! More later.

+++

First stop since Milwaukee: Columbus, WI
Small station, no larger than a small barn. Old late 1800’s architecture.

There are quite a few flooded marshlands and/or fields around here -- flooded over by the massive amounts of melting snow. A lot of the lower areas of forest appear to be underwater too -– evidence of a snowy winter disappearing into Spring.

+++

It’s interesting, as we travel through this stretch of Wisconsin, I’m starting to see deer-hunting stands of all shapes and kinds. Since there aren’t any leaves on the trees, these deer stands are clearly visible – dozens of little houses on poles.

Deer hunting is a major pastime here in Wisconsin. More of a cultural thing really. In rural areas, blaze orange jackets are a common sight during hunting season (deer are colorblind, and orange stands out to other hunters). Common also are men with rifles, flannel shirts, and a love for venison. It’s just one of those Wisconsin things -– right up there with the love of cheese, Green Bay Packers frenzy, and a general appreciation for the Great Outdoors.

Still, seeing all these little tree houses is kind of amusing.

+++

Second stop: Portage, WI ... (5:20pm or so)
A small station with white siding. Right next to a small train yard full of freight cars.

A lot of the freight cars here have some very artistic graffiti -– moving canvases of urban art. I don’t agree with defacing public and private property, but I do still have to admit, some of this graffiti is pretty creative.

+++

Third stop: Wisconsin Dells, WI ... (5:50pm)

The terrain around here is far more hilly. Forests are more common, with pine trees, steep hills, ravines, and the like. The area around here is a lot more built up too, since it’s a popular scenic tourist attraction. But it’s still nice to see the quaint little brick depot. No train yard this time, just the station.

+++

And just like that, the hills are gone again, and the flat forested land returns. Lots of trees, an occasional community or farm, and then more forest. Despite the barren post-winter trees, it’s still pretty countryside, especially as the setting sun casts an orange and brown hue over everything.

+++

Fourth stop: Tomah, WI ... (close to 6:30pm)

We’re at the midway point in my journey now -– roughly halfway between Milwaukee and Minneapolis. From this point on, I’m without my Amish companions. They’ve been traveling from Rochester, NY; This was their stop.

I think I’m going to go explore the train for a bit.

+++

This lounge car is nice. Big windows looking out at the Wisconsin wilderness. On this stretch of the journey, there’s not a house to be seen –- just forest, a few hills in the distance, old abandoned telephone poles (no wires), and ATV trails. Occassionally there’s a backwater rural road, but for the most part, just wild Wisconsin.

Oh, wait, I stand corrected. We just passed through a small town. And then it was gone. More forest... and now farm fields again. I love the Wisconsin countryside!

+++

Fifth stop: La Crosse, WI ... (around 7:10pm)

La Crosse is a notable city, not as big as Milwaukee, but big enough to host a public transit system. So, it’s no surprise that the train station is a large old brick building with a nearby train yard. Lots of old factories around here too.

The terrain nearby has become significantly more hilly again too, especially as we move closer to the Mississippi River and the Minnesota border. In a few minutes we’ll hit the well-known river bluffs, and then travel northwest along the massive river until we reach the metropolis that serves as my destination -– Minneapolis/ St. Paul.

+++

And, here we are: Minnesota! We just crossed the Mississippi River.

+++

This area is really quite impressive. On the right side of the train, the glassy "mile-wide" Mississippi flows south. On the left, the bluffs rise up and tower over the river.

It’s getting dark, though, as night falls. The sun has already set, and before long, the darkness will obscure my view. It’s a shame, really. The terrain around here is quite breathtaking. But, I’ll get to see all of this during the day on my train ride back to Milwaukee next week. So, I’m not worried. I can wait.

+++

Sixth stop: Winona, MN

The train stopped here long enough for passengers to step outside and grab a smoke. And while I don’t, I still decided to take in some fresh Minnesota night air. Winona is one of this state’s oldest cities, as evidenced by the old-style station. It was lovely to see it all lit up at night. I felt somewhat like a passenger from a century ago, stepping off the local steam train at what was then a major stop. Very serene.

Next stop: an even more old-fashioned Minnesota town, Red Wing.

+++

I’m sitting in the lounge car again. We’re underway after our stop at Winona. The view outside these big windows? Nothing but the inky blackness of night, punctuated every few minutes by a single light on some rural farm or backwater road. It’s not as exciting as when I could see the landscape from earlier, but still oddly fascinating.

+++

Seventh stop: Red Wing, MN ... (late at night)

Red Wing, home of the famous Red Wing Shoes. Also an old town set in a deep valley with massive cliffs and bluffs rising above it on three sides, and them the Mississippi River on the fourth. It looks like a small city straight out of the late 1800’s.

I’ve always been impressed with this place. They put so much effort into retaining their historic charm. Old-fashioned main streets, historic warehouses converted into charming modern apartments, the whole works. Sometime I’ll have to stop and spend more time here, rather than pass through on the train. I rather like this town.

+++

And there she be... the bright glow on the horizon. Minneapolis/St. Paul!

+++

Look at all the pretty lights! After the past two hours of inky blackness, it’s nice to see the vibrant lights of the city. We’re actually just outside downtown St. Paul. I can see the skyline, all sparkly and bright. If I were to hazard a guess, I’d say we’re 20-30 minutes out of the station.

We’re passing through the massive St. Paul train yard now. There are hundreds of freight cars, tanker cars, and locomotives everywhere! It’s huge. And the bright lights of downtown St. Paul grow ever closer. The conductor just announced our arrival. We’re 15 minutes out of the station. My fascinating journey has come to an end.

+++

Arrival at the Minneapolis/St. Paul Midway Station: 10:20pm. Time to meet up with my parents, get settled into the house I spent my teen years in, and then enjoy a nice week-long visit right here in Minneapolis. Ah, yes... vacation. Much appreciated!

======================================================

Have a wonderful Friday all. Until next time, right here from Minneapolis,

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)