Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, April 17, 2008


"Houses Covered in Kudzu"

Kudzu is a climbing vine introduced into the United States -- from Japan -- in 1876 at the Philadelphia Centennial Expo. It was intended to be a forage crop and ornamental plan. In the early 1950s, however, the U.S. Department of Agriculture actually encouraged farmers to plant the vines in order to help reduce soil erosion.

Now fast forward a couple of decades later, and kudzu has become a fast growing weed that infests about 11,000 square miles of the southeastern United States. It costs around $500 million every year in lost cropland and removal/control costs.

Jack Anthony has a photo gallery of abandoned houses in Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina that have been taken over by kudzu. I thought I'd post the link here since, in a way, they do -- as he said -- make "interesting natural sculptures". Enjoy!

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)