Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Sunday, October 05, 2008


"Semper Fidelis Baas"

My younger brother Joel released major news today -- he's joining the Marines.

That will make him the FOURTH Baas sibling (out of six) to serve in the U.S. Military. Becca is an officer in the Air Force, Ben just returned from his second tour of duty in Iraq with the Marines, Lydia is studying languages in the Navy, and now Joel will be joining Ben as a Marine. He plans to go into the Delayed Entry Program, and will likely ship out to boot camp in January or February.

For the past few years, Joel has been attending college in Minnesota, with the eventual hope of becoming a high school history teacher and sports coach. He just started his Junior year this Fall, and, had he continued, would have graduated in 2010.

I'm sure recent events, the financial benefits of Marine enlistment, the ability to serve one's country, and Joel's strong brotherly bond with Ben were all influencial in his decision. Military service isn't something I could do -- my passion for the Arts is far too strong. But knowing that my four youngest siblings have chosen to do so with their own lives.... that makes me proud (both of them, and of what that service stands for!). It humbles me greatly at the same time.

The Marine Corps uses the motto "Semper Fidelis" to sum up what it means to be a Marine. In Latin, it translates to "Always Faithful". Determined. Dedicated. Unswerving.

Four of my siblings are (or will be) living that motto in the military -- serving a country they could someday die for. My fifth sibling, Rachel, is an actress who owns her own theater company -- and has a life-long passion for teaching theater to children. Me, I own my own art business, I'm determined to go the independent route, I follow my own path -- even when critics abound. And my parents? They've lovingly supported each of us through whatever we've chosen to pursue.

When I sit down and think about it, when I put things into perspective, maybe that same phrase, "Semper Fidelis" -- Always Faithful -- should apply to the Baas family too.

Determined. Dedicated. Unswerving.

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)