Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008


"The Ten Songs That Describe My Personality"

Inspired by my friend Alexis, I thought I'd take a moment and share something creative with you. Over the past few days, I've put together a collection of ten favorite songs that describe me, who I am, and what I believe in. They are a musical profile of my unique personality.

So, sit back, enjoy, and when you're finished reading, have a listen!

Ready? Here we go....

1. "I Just Wanna Do My Thing" -- (Jamie Lee Thurston)

People often look at me strange when I tell them what I do for a living. "Oh, can you make money doing that", they often ask? Well, yes, of course, but I'm not rich (nor is money my presiding goal). I am, however, wealthy in ways most people seem to overlook. My parents always told me when I was growing up: "Jon, do what you love, and the money will follow." Far too many people settle for a life they hate, or they work a job they despise because they think they have to. But it doesn't have to be that way. No, like me, just do your thing... do what you love, and all those other details will fall into place. :)

This song also represents my love of rockin' drum and guitar, toe-tappin' modern Country Music. Mmmm! Good stuff!

2. "Sleep On" -- (Tonic Sol-Fa)

This acapella group is one of my favorites. I saw them perform live in concert at my college when I was still a student, and I've been a fan ever since. Not only do I love acapella music (usually vocalized without any instraments), but this particular song also has an excellent message: You can either let your dreams entertain you while you sleep, or, you get get up, and make them a reality. Chasing after my dreams is a presiding element of who I am.

I should also note, Tonic Sol-Fa is an independent vocal group from Minnesota. I spent the later years of my childhood up in Minneapolis, MN.

3. "Someone To Watch Over Me" -- (John Stevens)

This song, composed by George Gershwin, and with lyrics by Ira Gershwin, is from the theater musical Oh, Kay! (1926). The rendition that defines me is sung by John Stevens, a former semifinalist on the tv show, "American Idol". This song not only represents my love of theater, but also my appreciation of jazz and such "lounge-singers" as Frank Sinatra and James Darren.

In addition, this song represents my life-long wait (or search, depending upon how you look at it) for that one woman who will someday become my soul's companion, and walk with me on the rest of my journey towards old age.

4. "Over the Fence" -- (Randy Edelman)

This selection is from the soundtrack to the movie, "Gettysburg", a film which depicts the historical battle of the American Civil War. This track, "Over the Fence", is the backdrop to Pickett's Charge, and plays as the massive Confederate line crosses an open field, and engages in what will be a massive defeat at the hands of the Union army on the other side. This track represents my love of orchestral film scores, as well as my fascination with history and the American Civil War (of which I was once a reenactor). Randy Edelman, the composer, is one of the greats in modern film composing, and ranks right up there with some of my other favorites, such as James Horner, John Williams, and Danny Elfman.

This track is also a representation of courage, courage in the face of defeat -- a theme that has often played a part within my own life as well.

5. "Feet of Flames" -- (Gaelic Storm)

This is a new favorite by one of the best-known groups in the Celtic Music genre. As a bit of trivia too, if you've ever seen the movie, "Titanic", Gaelic Storm was the band playing in steerage while the main characters danced about to upbeat Irish music. On a personal note, I've seen this band in concert at my college while I was a student too, and their music (a selection of haunting traditional Irish songs, and upbeat jigs like this one) really moved me. They've been a favorite group of mine ever since.

This song represents my love of Celtic and Irish music -- ranging from Gaelic Storm, to Riverdance, to Leahy, and even to the rock-Celtic fusions of Tears for Bears.

6. "Smilin" -- (Tim McGraw)

This song represents the following: My love of country music, particularly the songs I like to sing along to (other artists include Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Angy Griggs, Jason Aldean, Garth Brooks, etc.). It also represents my mindset in life. Like the song says, I don't need to have what everyone else has, I don't need the world to tell me what I should do... I go my own way. I'm my own man. And in life, all I need to be happy and smiling are the simple things: a bright sunny day, a walk through God's creation... even a good conversation with a dear friend. In life, I make my own happiness. Oh, yeah, and I love smiling!

7. "Me and God" -- (Josh Turner)

Another Country song, this one represents my personal relationship with God. To be honest, I could probably have put any Christian Contemporary song in this slot (I'm a fan of CC songs too!), but this one just seemed to say it best... and in a simple kind of way. Me and God are pretty tight, and He's the Rock within my life. "I can do all things through him (Christ) who gives me strength" -- Philippians 4:13. This song represents my faith, and the place God has in my life.

8. "Main Theme, Star Trek: The Next Generation"

This one is probably a no-brainer. It represents my love of Star Trek, and in general, all things Science Fiction. I grew up watching the adventures of the Enterprise, and, since then, I've seen everything produced within the franchise. When I was a kid, I read as many Star Trek novels as I could get my hands on, I role-played in the genre, I drew my own ship designs, and I found a fascination for space. Indirectly, this song choice also represents my love of exploring (albeit here on earth).

9. "The Clothes Don't Make the Man" -- (Keith Anderson)

This song represents my love of observing people around me, making new friends, and getting to know who they are on the inside. Most people seem to judge others based upon the outside -- what they look like, or what they wear. People have done this to me too in life, and while I've come to expect it, it still saddens me. I find a strong kinship with those who get to know me for who I am beyond my clothes, my job, or the spotlight I often find myself in. Clothes don't make the man (or the woman), it's the heart that matters most. :)

10. "Love Is Never-Ending" -- (Brad Paisley)

This song could probably be defined by it's title alone. Another Country favorite, this one represents my belief that, like Brad Paisley sings, love never ends. No matter what happens in life, no matter who comes and goes, those that I love will always have a place in my heart. My loyalty and admiration will not end just because time gets in the way. Nor will I give up on them... or those things that mean the most to me. My life is about passion, love, learning, and storing all of these up within the memories and stories of my life.

As the words of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 say: "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always perseveres.

Love never fails."

And, there you have it: The ten songs that define who I am. I'm sure I could have easily found more, but the challenge was to limit myself to ten, and cover as many aspects of my personality as possible. I think I did pretty well? How well do you think you could do?

If you're interested in hearing these ten songs, feel free to click on over to my MySpace profile, and listen to the music playlist on the left-hand column. These ten songs are listed there, in the same order as above. Go give 'em a listen... and enjoy!

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)