Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Monday, January 12, 2009


"1100 Miles and a Big Bang"

A week has passed since I returned home from my Holiday traveling, and without even realizing it, I've become caught up in all manner of projects, work, and play. Time has zipped by in a flash, and I've been left blinking in the dust.

So, with that said, I think it's time to get things back on track again. Time to get back to blogging, and time to catch everyone up on the goings-on in my little corner of the world. A lot has happened... but, for now, I'll just focus on recapping my Holiday adventures.

Back on December 23, my younger sister, Becca (the Air Force officer stationed in Germany), stopped here in Milwaukee for a visit. A day or two earlier, she had landed in Washington D.C., rented a car, driven 790 miles west, and by the 23rd, was passing through Milwaukee on her way to Minneapolis for Christmas. I hopped in the car, and joined her on the remaining 336 miles.

When we arrived at my parent's house in the Twin Cities, we settled in, and spent the next four days among family. The only sibling unable to make it home was Ben, and that was only because his Marine base near San Diego didn't grant him enough leave for the Holidays. Otherwise, my parents and other four siblings made an appearance. As did Joe, Rachel's husband.

When Saturday rolled around (the 27th), Becca and I set out eastward again -- retracing the route taken earlier in the week. The plan this time, however, was for me to be dropped off in Tomah, WI -- the midway point between Milwaukee and Minneapolis. My girlfriend Kelli grew up there. I would stay there, spend New Years with her family, and Becca would continue on to D.C. alone.

That evening, after arriving in Tomah, I joined Kelli at the wedding and reception of one of her childhood friends, and then, by late evening, the two of us settled into Kelli's parent's house. I visited with them through the weekend.

On Tuesday the 30th, Kelli and I hopped into her car, and we drove back up to Minneapolis, where she had the opportunity to meet and visit with my family for a day. On Wednesday, she and I returned to Tomah, where we hung out through New Years Eve/Day. And on Friday, January 2, we set out on a 142-mile drive east to Brillion, WI (near Appleton), where she lives and teaches.

I spent the rest of the weekend there at her apartment in Brillion, visited her church/school on Sunday, and then by Sunday evening (January 4), we had driven 101 miles south back down into Milwaukee. We had dinner at Applebee's, I was dropped off at my apartment, and Kelli returned north to Brillion. She had to teach the next day.

All-in-all, over the thirteen (13) days of my Holiday vacation, I traveled (by car) a grand total of 1092 miles (not counting the local side trips at each destination). This was 14 miles less than Becca traveled -- one way -- between Washington D.C. and Minneapolis. In other words, I spent 19 hours and 24 minutes on the road, and traveled the equivalent of halfway across the United States -- without ever leaving Wisconsin or Minnesota.

That's a lot of traveling!

But, in the end, it was well worth it. I was able to spend Christmas with my family up in Minneapolis, and most of them were able to meet Kelli in there as well. I spent New Years with Kelli's family, and got to meet all of them for the first time. And... I was introduced to small town Brillion -- a place I will soon become very familiar with.

Yes, it was a wonderful Holiday adventure, and one I will remember for a very long time. The rest of my life, actually. And although I can't go into further details at the moment, this adventure opens the door to many exciting new changes, challenges, and opportunities waiting just around the corner. 2009 starts off with a bang. Stick around, and I'll do my best to surprise you.

No... better yet... I'll knock your socks off!

-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)