Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Thursday, April 01, 2010

"Paramount Studios has invited me to California to talk Star Trek"

As many of you know, I'm a huge Star Trek fan. I grew up watching the franchise, I've seen every episode, watched every movie, and have been to a few of the conventions. I even direct my own successful online roleplaying game. My fiancee rolls her eyes at me whenever I talk Trek, and she lovingly reminds me of my geekiness, but the truth is, Star Trek is part of who I am. It's in my blood. It's a universe in which my imagination can run wild. And I have a very strong imagination.

That said, it's probably no surprise that as an actor, one of my life-long dreams has been to portray a character in an official Star Trek project. It doesn't matter what the character is... speaking role... background actor... Klingon... Starfleet officer... just something that helps tell the story. Unfortunately, Star Trek casting opportunities have come and gone many times over. And circumstances just haven't allowed me to participate.

Until now. Hopefully.

Believe it or not, I was contacted by Paramount Studios earlier this week. Yes, *the* Paramount Studios. They asked not to share specific details about the conversation, but I can say this: I've been invited to fly to California next month and talk with the studio and Star Trek production staff about fulfilling my dream. Deep down, I'm hoping it has something to do with the next Star Trek movie (scheduled for release on June 29, 2012), but I can't say that with certainty just yet.

As far as what I can say, though, certain individuals have learned about me, my love for Star Trek, and some of the unique things I've done –- my personalized Klingon portraits for example -– and have asked to sit down and talk with me. At least one of those people (a well known person in the world of Trek) has also expressed interest in commissioning me to draw him/her -- as a Klingon. (I can't say who, so please don't ask!). Nothing has been nailed down yet, but the short of it is: I could be drawing a few Klingon portraits for some influencial people in the coming months. And I could very likely be part of an upcoming Star Trek project!

The studio even made a point of saying that, while they wanted to offer me the opportunity I had missed so many times before, I was also "the best example of a quintessential Klingon, and to overlook my participation on those grounds would be unthinkable". So, yeah, it would appear my geekiness was a good thing afterall! And I have a feeling my fiancee's eyes won't stop rolling anytime soon. (Sorry, Kelli!)

I'd really like to say more. This is definitely an exciting turn of events for me! But, I did agree to discretion, and I promised to remain tight-lipped, so we'll all just have to wait and see what happens when I meet with the studio. In the meantime, stay tuned here for the latest. I blog daily. And I post updates to my Facebook page just as often. Come check me out!

My Star Trek adventure is just beginning!...

------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: - (Friday, April 2 - 12:32 AM):

Yes, this is an April Fool's Day hoax. My love of Star Trek, and my desire to someday work on an official Trek project is truthful. However, no, Paramount Studios did not contact me. I'm open to the possibility. But for now, it's just wishful thinking on the day of light-hearted foolery. :)

Thank you to everyone who made this hoax a success. It's been fun!

Have a wonderful Friday all, and until next time,

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  1 comments


1 Comments:

This soooo better not be an April Fool's joke! ;)

By Blogger Unknown, at 5:43 AM, April 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)