Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Saturday, July 03, 2010

"Jon and Kelli: The Proposal"

In exactly seven days -- one week, I will be married. July 10, 2010. As I blog us toward the joyous event (and my new-found status as "husband"), I thought I'd take a few moments and write a little about how it all began. My proposal. The day Kelli said "yes".

It was January 2, 2009. Kelli and I had just returned "home" from spending Christmas and New Years with family (mine in Minneapolis, MN, and hers in Tomah, WI). We were back in Brillion, WI -- at her apartment. It was a quiet Friday, nothing much going on. Movies and relaxation. I had been planning to propose sometime after the Holidays. I had all the details worked out; I knew what I wanted to do. But it had to be low-key... simple... just her and me. As we sat on the couch in her living room watching a DVD, the moment was finally right.

Looking back, she says I was "a little fidgety". I probably was, although I'm sure I was trying hard to hide it. That's usually how I operate in moments like that. But whatever the case, I finally got up the nerve. I downplayed my nervousness, paused the movie, turned to face Kelli, smiled, and told her there was something I wanted to give her.

She probably knew what was up by that point, but I pushed on.

I reached into my pocket... and pulled out a piece of ribbon. I didn't have the funds at the time to present her with an expensive engagement ring, so, I had searched long and hard for the next best thing. Something unique. Something different. Something... memorable. I wanted it to be a piece of ribbon that was her favorite color (red), yet something that stood out from your ordinary breed of ribbon. I settled on a red one with gold accents. It seemed appropriate.

Holding that red ribbon in my hand, I asked Kelli to marry me. She said "yes". Didn't even hesitate. I carefully tied the ribbon around her wrist, and she kissed me. Happily. Sweetly. From that point on... we were engaged.

Over the months that followed, we started making plans for the wedding. We shared the news, selected a date, organized the details... and yes, finally found Kelli an engagement ring of her own. A beautiful princess cut ring that will eventually be welded together with her wedding ring.

And the ribbon I proposed with... what became of that? Well, back when Kelli and I were still dating (before the proposal), I designed a special hardwood mahogany keepsake box lined with velvet for her to keep small objects in. Small objects that hold memories of us. Small objects like the red ribbon I proposed with.

It wasn't a flashy public proposal. I didn't have the resources. It wasn't a glittery ring. I didn't have the money to buy one. But... it was simple and creative. It was personal. And she liked it.

And that makes me smile.

-Jon

 I   I  2 comments


2 Comments:

That was sweet! I wish the both of you many long happy years together.

By Anonymous Marsha, at 10:52 AM, July 04, 2010  

Thanks Marsha! :)

By Anonymous Jon Baas, at 2:08 PM, July 04, 2010  

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)