Jon Baas Blog
 
Home Biography Filmography Meet Jon Blog Artist Forum Facebook Twitter Freelance Store


OFFICIAL BLOG :: Jon Baas

Hire The Brand Man. -- New Names or Taglines Starting at $30!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"A Weekend At The Cottage"

This past weekend, Kelli and I spent a few days at a rustic cottage. The place is owned by my friend's family, and he's been staying there on a two week vacation -- by himself. This past weekend (the mid-point in his stay), he invited his fiancee, and Kelli and myself to join him. So, Kelli and I drove west into central Wisconsin, and got away from the busy-ness of civilization for a while.

Friday night was, for the most part, spent outdoors sitting around a campfire. Marshmallows were roasted, and conversation was lively. In the later evening, the two women went off to chat by themselves, while my friend (Scott) and I walked around the lake, making an after-dark trek up a nearby mountain to the county park at the top. After some creative brainstorming (on a project we're both involved in), we walked back down the mountain, and returned to the cottage.

An hour or so later, everyone went off to bed. The woman had the two available beds in the cottage, and Scott and I slept in the two second-level lofts (which you can only get to via ladders).

On Saturday, the women made breakfast, and then the four of us played a lively game of "Apples to Apples". We hung out for a while, and then by mid-afternoon, walked to the village nearby for dinner. And by village, I mean: a motel, a small dam, a mill/cafe (which was closed for renovation), a "town hall" (in what was probably an old school house), an old mechanics shop (which may have been a gas station in the 1950's), and the "Trading Post" -- a recently-built bar/restaurant constructed of wooden logs. Our dinner was at the Trading Post, and a good dinner it was. Burgers. Very tasty!

After dinner, the women went off to chat again, and Scott and I explored the local rural roads. We walked quite some distance, musing upon the hundreds of trees that had been snapped in half by a recent windstorm (the area around there is heavily wooded), and chatting upon a variety of topics. We eventually made it back to the cottage before nightfall, returning to our respective lofts a few hours later.

On Sunday, the women made breakfast again, this time outdoing themselves from the day before. After that, we hung out, and by late morning, Scott and his fiancee waded into the lake, and removed part of the dock -- a project that required the unscrewing of supports from the lake bed. I helped from the shore.

By about 1pm, Kelli and I packed our gear into the car, bid Scott and his fiancee farewell, and set out for home. Both woman are teachers. Kelli had lesson plans to work on; Scott's fiancee left shortly thereafter (probably for the same reasons).

All-in-all, it was a fun weekend away. I've been to that cottage a number of times before -- while I was still a bachelor and sharing an apartment with Scott in Milwaukee. This was, however, the first time I've been there since I was married.

If you'd like to see some pictures that I took while visiting the cottage, visit my Facebook photo album. If you'd like to see more photos (from other events/topics), they can be found here.

Have a wonderful Tuesday all! Until next time,

Your happily blogging friend,
-Jon

 I   I  0 comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

+ Full Blog Archive  I  Blog Home

Jon Baas

Blogging Since 2002!
Blog Home

Stories I Tell:
USS Enterprise 1701-D
   • Story Page - (in real-time)
   • Website / Blog

Blogs I Read:
- ProBlogger
- Seth Godin
- The Brothers Brick
- Trek Movie
- Wil Wheaton

Performances I Enjoy:
- Improv Everywhere


Recent Posts:
- August 2019

Blog Archive:
- Full Archive - (3,100+ posts)

Subscribe:
- Posts (Atom)